Cross post from the Private School Pups blog: https://www.privateschoolpups.com/blog/2020/10/7/halloween-tips-for-dogs-things-to-keep-your-pet-safe-and-happy
Halloween will for sure be different this year because of COVID-19. But that doesn’t mean can’t all still have fun – and that includes our dogs! But while this holiday is mostly filled with good-times, there are still things we humans need to do to make sure our pups stay safe this Halloween 2020.
- Candy: ALWAYS keep human candy to yourself. Sugar, chocolate, and artificial sweeteners are deadly to dogs. If you are handing out candy, make sure you place bowls far from your best friend’s reach
- Make your pup feel safe: There are lots of scary noises and sights during Halloween. Be prepared for your pup to be frightened. If you are noticing they are frightening and having trouble managing their anxiety and excitement, move them to a comfortable space in your home away from all the commotion.
- Inside is best: Keep your pets indoors after dark during the times when there are an increased number of people walking around, especially in scary costumes. Darker and black pets having increased risk during Halloween of being run over due to increases foot and car traffic combined with poor visibility.
- Costumes: Dressing your pet up is so fun and cute! Just be sure to keep costumes comfortable, temperature appropriate, and free from choking hazards.
- Mind your front door: Many pets are escape artists and will take the first opportunity they get run out the front door when visitors arrive! Plan appropriately during Trick-or-Treat or for other visitors. Make sure your pet is in a secure place safely away from the front door with no ability to get lose and run out.